• Location: Northern Tanzania
• Sponsorship: $1,000 per year
• Grade level: Last two years of high school
• Kisa means “story” in Swahili. Through the Kisa Project, young African women are empowered to become the creative authors of their own futures – and help to write new future stories in their communities and nation! The Kisa Project is an initiative of AfricAid, a nonprofit organization that supports girls’ education in Tanzania. The Kisa Project provides school scholarships and leadership training to some of Africa’s brightest young women. Through sponsorships provided by American individuals, families and groups, these young women are able to complete their secondary school education, while also participating in a powerful, two-year leadership training program taught weekly by inspiring Tanzanian mentors. Upon graduation, these “Kisa Scholars” return to their home communities to mentor groups of other young women, thus helping to create the next generation of leaders across Africa.
• At the same time, American sponsors develop a truly meaningful connection with their Kisa Scholar in Africa, using tools for monthly dialogue and interaction through the Kisa website. Through the two-year sponsor experience, they are given the concrete tools they need to develop cross-cultural relationships, become leaders, and undertake service in their local and global communities on an ongoing basis. In this way, the Kisa Project puts into motion on both sides a powerful cycle of Sharing, Learning, Growing, and Leading.
• Tuition, computer training, and Kisa stipend: $660
• Leadership training (including weekly lessons taught by amazing women mentors, ongoing individual counseling [personal and professional], curriculum materials, and a 10-day summer workshop): $1340
Kisa scholars correspond with She’s the First through email on a regular basis. We’ll notify you each time we receive a new letter, and you can correspond with your sponsored student through our site.
Please note it may take up to a month for a sponsorship to process.
Want to learn more? See our blog posts here!