• Location: Surkhet, Nepal
• Sponsorship: $300 for a year
• Grade level: Primary (Nursery to 6)
• A scholarship at Kopila Valley through She’s the First is an all-inclusive yearly package for everything a girl needs to go to school. These girls come from poor circumstances, with either a single mother or father, or no parents at all. Others have parents who are handicapped or disabled. The girls all come from poor or illiterate families. They all fall into the “high risk” category for being married off to a man or as domestic servants. Others have to work in hotels or by dry riverbeds to earn a living for their family. These girls are the first of their generation to be educated and literate.
• Kopila Valley is a co-educational primary school. Students come to school from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. with an hour for lunch time. The medical clinic is open in the morning for basic medical needs. Before and after school extra help and tutoring is offered for those few who need it. Otherwise, the playground is open for playing volleyball, soccer, and other games. Kopila Valley is a safe place for students to spend the day, receive an education in basic English, Nepali, Math, Science, Health, and Social Studies and have their basic needs met. School runs from Sunday-Friday, with Friday being a half day for extracurricular and fun activities, i.e. racing, sports matches, dance competitions, debate, art, and other activities.
• School uniform: $28 per year (this includes 1 skirt, 1 pair of pants, 2 school shirts, 1 sweater, 1 hat, belt, school tie, a pair of shoes, socks, and warm tights for winter)
• School bag, supplies, and set of the year’s text books: $22 (cost changes depending on the grade level of the child, i.e. a 6th grader’s textbooks are more expensive than a first grader but this is the average total cost):
• School lunches: $75 per year (this includes, rice, fresh vegetables, and lentil soup 5 days a week)
• Tuition: $120 per year (this figure goes towards everything we need to keep the school functioning and sustaining itself, i.e. staff, teachers, and cook salaries, repairs, and construction, school materials, and classroom needs)
• Medical needs: $55 per year (i.e. vaccines, vitamins, sanitary napkins, medical emergencies, and dental care for the year)
Correspondence with She’s the First is arranged through email. Correspondence with smaller children is difficult because of the English language barrier; however, they will try to She’s the First a photo and occasional updates on the girl’s progress. Sponsors should know that regular correspondence can be difficult, because there is only a small team of unpaid volunteers who know how to email, and there is limited access to computers and internet connectivity. We will notify you when we receive new letters, and you can correspond with your sponsored student through our site.
Please note it may take up to a month for a sponsorship to process.
Want to learn more? See our blog posts here!